Please note, these web standards and style guide are currently in development and are likely to change over time.
Council websites can be cluttered with pages there is no demand for, wasting time for those seeking information.
Irrelevant content makes relevant information harder to find by making it difficult to navigate to and search for.
Make sure you can justify your page by thinking about who is going to read it
Pages should relate to questions or queries asked repeatedly by customers. Your audience should be clear to you as you write. Ask:
- does your page relate to a specific council service?
- does it meet the needs of the customer, as well as the council?
- is the potential audience large enough to justify publishing the information?
- is the potential audience able or likely to access the information via the internet?
- is there a statutory requirement to publish this information?